When traveling for business, your mind is probably set on getting the job done quickly and efficiently so you can get back home to your family. With a focus on work-related matters, little thought, if any, may go into finding good restaurants to savor the local flavors. Visiting a national chain seems to fit the bill but only because you know what to expect, no matter what part of the country you are in.
Playing checkers on the porch of the same restaurant night after night can quickly render your taste buds bored and longing for some variety. Taking the time to visit local diners will leave you wanting to repeat those tantalizing palate teasers. Why not recreate and perfect those recipes in your corporate rental apartment’s fully-equipped kitchen? You might enjoy the relaxation and satisfaction of staying home after a long day at work while relishing the joy of a fresh, home-cooked meal.
Authentic Mississippi Recipes to Try in Your Corporate Rental Apartment
Explore the exciting cultural flavors of Mississippi. Roll up your sleeves and try these authentic recipes as you sip wine and listen to the Blues:
1. English Pea Salad – A decadent and refreshing summer salad served at the T.C. Old-Fashioned Grocery.
- 2 large, hard-boiled eggs
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped pimento
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soul-food seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 60 ounces early peas (like Le Sueur)
Combine all ingredients except the peas in a large bowl. Mix well. Stir in peas. Refrigerate for at least 10 hours or overnight. Serve at room temperature.
2. Mississippi Mud Pie – Named after the muddy Mississippi river, this pie is rich, fluffy, and irresistible. Here is one from Sugar & Soul Co:
- 15 chocolate graham crackers
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 ¾ cups light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate curls
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add graham crackers to a food processor and pulse until they become fine crumbs.
- Transfer to a bowl and make a well in the crumbs; pour in melted butter and mix to combine. Add sugar and stir until well blended.
- Press crust mix into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees F.
- While the crust is baking, cream together the butter and brown sugar with a mixer.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing on low in between. Scrape down sides as needed.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-second intervals, stirring between each until fully melted.
- Mix in melted chocolate, cocoa, heavy cream, and chocolate extract on low, until fully incorporated.
- Carefully pour mixture into the prepared pie crust. Do not overfill. Leave ½-inch gap from lip of crust. Dispose of any excess.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Top with whipped topping and chocolate curls. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
While eating out is convenient and easy, it is boring when you have to settle for the same old food and flavors every day. Instead, you can experiment, even make the occasional mess, click Instagram-worthy pictures, and bring comfort to your soul and stomach right at home! Corporate Housing Experts has rental communities across Mississippi, including in Jackson, Hattiesburg, Gulfport, and Biloxi. Our apartments and condominiums include fully functioning kitchens ready for you to create that unique, appetizing dish that beats any national chain’s cookie-cutter fare.
Contact us at 800-990-7368 to find convenient corporate rentals or request a free quote online.